What is the Pilates Teacher Association
We are the professional body which represents Pilates Teachers who are committed to the creation of a distinct occupation – Pilates Teacher and to the preservation and teaching of the Pilates Method.
Our goal is to protect the public by creating a Register of Pilates Teachers who have appropriate qualifications, skills and experience to deliver the Pilates method to a wide range of the population.
Membership of the Association is only available when a Pilates teacher can evidence qualifications based on strict criteria and expertise in the Pilates Method. We work to a strict code of ethics and code of conduct. If your Pilates Teacher is listed with us you will have a teacher with a sound education in the method and who is committed to continuing professional development.
Who are you regulated by?
The Pilates method is subject to self regulation and The Pilates Teacher Association is currently in negotiation with the Professional Standards Authority and the Accredited Voluntary Registers scheme. This will set Pilates Teachers apart as a distinct occupation requring exacting personal, technical and business standards. www.professionalstandardsauthority.org.uk
Many fitness professionals and complimentary health practitioners are members of self regulatory bodies which are linked to publicly sponsored sector skills Councils.(SSC). In the UK for example there is www.skillsactive.com the SSC for Active Leisure, learning and Well-being. Their membership body is www.exercisergister.org
Skills for Health www.skillsforhealth.org.uk is the SSC for Health related professions like Physiotherapist Assistants for example.
In Europe there is the European Health and Fitness association www.ehfa.eu
The Pilates Teacher Association is working on behalf of of our members with representatives from each of these bodies to ensure that the voices of PIlates Teachers from comprehensive schools ar involved in the setting of standards of education for PiIates.
While the Pilates method is an ideal workout for healthy individuals it also has a benefit for many musculo-skeletal complaints and post Physiotherapy exercise. The method is exercise and heath care. The PTA is working with the larger self-regulating bodies and the Departments for sport and health in the devolved Governments to raise the profile of Pilates Teachers , protect the public and to define the standards of Education required to become a Pilates Teacher.
Why should I use a PTA Teacher?
Using a Pilates teacher who is a member of the association provides assurance and confidence to the public, employers and health care professionals that the Teacher they use is a Pilates Teacher and a specialist.
All Pilates Teacher Association members and associates will have received training through schools which have a comprehensive training available and their course tutors are all comprehensively trained Pilates Teachers with a minimum of 5 years Pilates teaching experience. Teacher Training will have been over many months, sometimes years and all members will have had considerable amounts of time spent in apprentice hours. For classification of teachers please click here.
- Hold approved qualifications in the Pilates Method
- Are committed to their ongoing professional development
- Are legally covered by appropriate insurance
- May hold generic Level 3 and Level 4 National Occupational standards qualifications applicable in the UK and Europe
All Teachers abide by the code of ethical conduct principles which are:
- Rights - To promote and respect the rights, dignity and worth of every human being.
- Relationships - To develop a relationship with their paticipants and othe professionals based on openness, honesty, mutual trust and respect.
- Personal Responsibilities - To demonstrate proper personal behaviour and conduct at all times and be fair, honest and considerate to all participants and colleagues
- Professional Standards - To retain a high level of competence through qualifications and a commitment to ongoing training that ensures safe and correct practice referring to other colleagues and Professionals where appropriate.
- Safe Working Practice - To prepare for all activities ensuring the safety of their clients is of paramount consideration.